The 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Sean Covey

It’s been ages since I last sat down and read a book. I do miss reading that is why whenever I get the chance to read, I really make sure that the book is something that I would surely enjoy. Today, I was able to squeeze in some reading time because I happened to see my Grade 2 student reading this particular book. I am a great fan of children’s books as I used to teach in Pre-school before as well as self-help/inspirational books as I have always been fascinated with psychology.  So whenever I see a book that fits both pegs perfectly, I wouldn’t stop until I read that book.  I literally cajoled and begged my Grade 2 student to let me borrow her book, and she reluctantly obliged after I promised her a hundred times that I will return it back tom.:)

The book, The 7 Habits of Happy Kids, is a children’s book that teaches the kids the timeless values and principles written in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Penned by Sean Covey, son of Stephen Covey himself, author of the highly acclaimed book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, the book contains amusing stories that children 3 years onwards can easily relate to. The stories present the 7 habits that we should help instill in our children for them to reach their full potential and live a well balanced life.

The 7 Habits of Happy Kids

The stories are all well-written, Sean Covey wrote them with so much warmth that children and parents alike can easily relate to them. The illustrations by cartoonist Stacy Curtis are endearingly eye-catching, they made reading the book a pleasurable experience indeed. At the end of each story, guide questions and tips on how to discuss and reinforce the habit are provided, making it easy for parents to relate the habits to their children’s lives for proper application.

The 7 Habits of Happy Kids

I’ve jotted down some notes (remember I just borrowed the book from a 7 years old, I have to give it back!) and I would like to share them with you.  I promised myself that I will buy my own copy so I can hand it down to my daughter when it’s her turn to raise her own kids. Here are the 7 habits in a nutshell:

• Habit 1: Be Proactive (You’re In Charge).  Teach your children to take charge of  their life–of their own happiness, studies, acivities etc.)
  • Habit 2: Begin With An End In Mind (Have a Plan). Instill in them the habit of having a plan. Teach them that planning ahead leads to good things, including being in a better  position to help others. Encourage them to pick one thing they need to do better and start doing it.
  • Habit 3: Put First Things First (Work First, Then Play).  As parents we must have to learn to delay gratification and encourage our children to do the hard things first. “Do what you have to do so you can do what you want to do.”
  • Habit 4: Think Win-Win (Everyone Can Win).
  • Habit 5:  Seek First To Understand, Then To Be Understood (Listen Before You Talk)
  • Habit 6:  Synergize (Together is Better). We must teach our children synergy, that is valuing differences and then working together to create a better solution than what anyone could do alone. We must teach them to acknowledge each and everyone’s unique’s strength and began playing as a team.
  • Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw (Balance Feels Best). We must teach our children to take time to renew the 4 parts of who we are: body, heart, mind, and soul in order to find balance in our life.

Funny thing is while I was reading the book, I realized that I might as well instill these habits myself as these are habits that can make us adults live a happy life as well. :)

41 Comments on The 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Sean Covey

1. chuyển nhà hà nội
    April 14, 2017 at 6:12 am (6 months ago)

This page truly has all of the information and facts I needed concerning this subject
    and didn’t know who to ask.
    chuyển nhà hà nội invites you to read: chuyển nhà hà nộiMy Profile

2. averyashoorian
    August 30, 2016 at 2:47 am (1 year ago)

Looking for a professional and license lawyers that you can trust and dedicated to your business? There are lawyers who has specialty then look for them at averyashoorian.com.

3. Violet
    March 5, 2016 at 2:56 pm (2 years ago)

Yeah I totally agree with you. “Do what you have to do so you can do what you want to do.” This is not only what I teach my kids but also what I always remind me to follow. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Violet invites you to read: Kershaw Scallion Review – A perfect small knife for EDCMy Profile

4. wibradbu.blog.com
    October 13, 2014 at 2:25 am (3 years ago)

First off I want to say fantastic blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you do not
    mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing.
    I have had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.
    I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are
    wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any
    suggestions or hints? Appreciate it!
    wibradbu.blog.com invites you to read: wibradbu.blog.comMy Profile

5. yelp.com
    October 10, 2014 at 12:46 am (3 years ago)

You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write.
    The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you
    who are not afraid to mention how they believe.

Always go after your heart.
    yelp.com invites you to read: yelp.comMy Profile

6. doorbell.wireless doorbell
    October 5, 2014 at 8:50 am (3 years ago)

Is he going to do his best to tear it apart and perhaps ingest part of
    it. The power unit will simply plug into a standard wall socket and no further installation will be needed.
    There are also so many models you can choose between, there will unquestionably be a doorbell out there suitable for you.
    doorbell.wireless doorbell invites you to read: doorbell.wireless doorbellMy Profile

7. Venetta
    September 21, 2014 at 7:26 am (3 years ago)

I delight in, result in I found exactly what I used to be taking a look for.
    You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day.
    Bye
    Venetta invites you to read: VenettaMy Profile

8. Skye
    September 20, 2014 at 11:26 pm (3 years ago)

I believe that iss one of the most vital info for me.
    And i am glad studying your article. However wabna remark on few normal things, The site taste is wonderful, the articles
    is actually excellent : D. Just right task,
    cheers
    Skye invites you to read: SkyeMy Profile

9. Representing symbiosis of painted furniture and French
    styling, the Chantilly range is also comprehensive.

You can spend a day exploring the incredible Paris and visit the famous
    churches and museums. Think about a song that you find particularly catchy, the catchiest part will
    have a simple and easy to repeat set of sounds, and this is what makes them so catchy.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Code-PSN-Gratuit-Générateur-de-Code-PSN-Gratuit-France/285179011690894 invites you to read: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Code-PSN-Gratuit-Générateur-de-Code-PSN-Gratuit-France/285179011690894My Profile

10. Alvin
    September 5, 2014 at 2:45 pm (3 years ago)

It’s not my first time to pay a visit this site, i am visiting this
    web site dailly and get nice information from here all the time.
    Alvin invites you to read: AlvinMy Profile

11. Hong
    August 31, 2014 at 4:47 am (3 years ago)

Admiring the dedication you put into your site and in depth information you present.
    It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed material.
    Wonderful read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to
    my Google account.
    Hong invites you to read: HongMy Profile

12. Laurence
    August 20, 2014 at 2:52 am (3 years ago)

Hi there i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i
    read this piece of writing i thought i could also create comment due to this good post.
    Laurence invites you to read: LaurenceMy Profile

13. google adwords tool
    August 19, 2014 at 3:17 pm (3 years ago)

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she maintains the thought of a user in his/her mind that how
    a user can know it. So that’s why this piece of writing is perfect.
    Thanks!
    google adwords tool invites you to read: google adwords toolMy Profile

14. asociatia umanism
    July 25, 2014 at 3:33 pm (3 years ago)

At this time I am going to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast
    coming over again to read more news.
    asociatia umanism invites you to read: asociatia umanismMy Profile

15. top toronto personal injury lawyers
    June 18, 2014 at 3:00 pm (3 years ago)

There are two things you can do if you get hurt
    in an accident. Whether he means or not, he should be responsible for his actions and pay the damages he caused.
    Some need extensive investigation before the chances of success can be properly estimated.
    top toronto personal injury lawyers invites you to read: top toronto personal injury lawyersMy Profile

16. Anonymous
    March 30, 2014 at 11:06 am (4 years ago)

Thank you, I have recently been searching for info about this subject for ages and yours
    is the best I’ve found out till now. However, what about the conclusion?
    Are you certain about the source?

17. finden Sie unter
    March 29, 2014 at 1:01 pm (4 years ago)

With up to 2x faster processing than a single core smartphones everything can be done quicker than you will believe.
    When trying to grow a small business you need easy to use, cost-effective ways to market your product.
    Turn off your Bluetooth, 4G, Wi-Fi, notifications whenever you’re not
    using any of these services.
    finden Sie unter invites you to read: finden Sie unterMy Profile

18. acer monitor
    February 8, 2014 at 11:22 pm (4 years ago)

To carry it along without problems it imbibes perfect dimensions of 190.

The TV reviews like Samsung plasma TV review I am talking about are compiled
    in easy to understand language and covers each and every aspect of the TVs.
    Entertainment is the idea with this system, and its power proves it.
    acer monitor invites you to read: acer monitorMy Profile

19. sbobet
    January 5, 2014 at 10:22 am (4 years ago)

This piece of writing will assist the internet visitors for
    creating new website or even a blog from start to end.
    sbobet invites you to read: sbobetMy Profile

20. american Visa lottery
    November 5, 2013 at 3:48 pm (4 years ago)

I just like the valuable info you supply for your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am slightly certain I will learn many new stuff proper right here!
    Best of luck for the following!
    american Visa lottery invites you to read: american Visa lotteryMy Profile

21. marri
    June 29, 2012 at 11:03 am (5 years ago)

KIDS and their behaviors should always be monitored
    by parents in order that they will know the BEST and
    the RIGHT way to deal with their attitudes.

These are great guides for parents like me.
    marri invites you to read: First STAR of my SUPERBOYMy Profile

22. Robi
    June 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm (5 years ago)

It’s indeed fun to be a kid sometimes haha! When I was a kid, I used to read fairytale books – my bed time stories. We should instill to kids the importance of reading at early age they’ll feel the interest and benefits will follow.

23. Franc Ramon
    June 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm (5 years ago)

I think it would be good to start this habits to kids while they are still young so they grow up with this becoming their second nature.
    Franc Ramon invites you to read: GratefulMy Profile

June 29, 2012 at 1:17 am (5 years ago)

I agree Franc!:)

24. Amanda Spears
    June 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for this advice, Blanca! I have a two years daughter that right now has started to develop her personality and this advice come just at the right time. Thanks again!
    Amanda Spears invites you to read: Wheatgrass Juicer coMy Profile

June 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm (5 years ago)

You’re welcome Amanda!:)