Culion Island

During my recent trip to Palawan, we visited Culion Island, the former leprosarium of the American Commonwealth Government. It is found on the northernmost part of Palawan and is part of the Calamian Group of Islands together with the municipalities of Busuanga, Coron, and Linapacan.

Culion Island

One of the sites that caught my attention as our boat was drawing near the shore was the Purisima Concepcion de Nuestra Senora. It proudly stood perched atop a cliff and is set against the clear blue sky. Immaculate Conception Church as it is known today is one of the oldest buildings in the island. It was constructed in 1906 by a group of Augustinian priest. Now it is being run by the Fathers of the Society of Jesus.

Culion Island

It sits right across the Culion Sanitarium which once was a leprosy segregation camp.

Culion Island

Its watchtower and fort were constructed by the Augustinian Recollects as defense measure against the Moro Raiders which used to harass the whole island.

Culion Island

It has the most breathtaking view of the sea and of the shoreline of Culion.

Culion Island

Though we didn’t get to see much of the island, I noticed the presence of old traditional houses and buildings as well as the lack of modern facilities here. It gave me the impression that life here still remains as simple as it is. As our boat was pulling away from the shore, we were treated to the most beautiful sunset.

Culion Island

Clearly, its sheer natural beauty as well as its rich history are what gives Culion Island its old world charm.

Culion Island can be reached by an outrigger. It is an hour and a half travel by sea from the town of Coron.

22 Comments on Culion Island

April 24, 2012 at 10:07 am (5 years ago)

Hi Mark, hindi e, dadayuhin mo talaga sya coz 1 hour and a half to two hours sea travel from coron to.

1. Gemma
    April 24, 2012 at 3:18 am (5 years ago)

I’ve never been to Palawan! I’ve seen lots of photos, but never from this island yet! Interesting place.. esp ung leprosy segregation camp? would love to know more!!!! I love your sunset pic!!!
    Gemma invites you to read: Coming to New Orleans – Canal StreetMy Profile

2. Airra Pingol
    April 23, 2012 at 11:04 pm (5 years ago)

it looks relaxing.. i want to visit the church.

3. gayE
    April 23, 2012 at 3:38 pm (5 years ago)

Oooh, I’d love to visit the island! So when did the leprosarium close down? Wow, an hour and a half via outrigger boat… Its remoteness is perfect for its former function.

4. Enzo
    April 23, 2012 at 10:46 am (5 years ago)

I think I have read about this site in another blogger’s post. Yeah…I heard it’s nice. Maybe, aside from Coron, this might just be one of the places I have to og in my next Palawan visit.

5. maritel (merlmd)
    April 23, 2012 at 10:45 am (5 years ago)

it looks so quiet…like some greek island. I like solitude and would like to go there one day. I could imagine the sense of history that this island has. Do they have inns, hostels or pension houses?
    maritel (merlmd) invites you to read: The Grumpy NeighborMy Profile

April 23, 2012 at 1:50 pm (5 years ago)

Hi Maritel, there’s only one hotel in this island, Hotel Maya, run by the Jesuits.

6. Tripsiders
    April 23, 2012 at 9:56 am (5 years ago)

Wow! Ganda naman po sa island nayan..
    Hope makapunta din ako…

Love the last Pic… :)

7. yuuki
    April 23, 2012 at 9:36 am (5 years ago)

did u stay at Culion island for the night or just took a banka back? curious if they have a hotel or other accommodation in the island…
    yuuki invites you to read: How to find low-cost holidays to SpainMy Profile

April 23, 2012 at 9:39 am (5 years ago)

Hi Yukki, they have Hotel Maya which is run by the Jesuits. No, we didn’t stay there, we went back to Coron.:)

8. Axl Powerhouse
    April 23, 2012 at 9:32 am (5 years ago)

wow i like the church.. bitin nga lang yun mga shoot dun..
    Axl Powerhouse invites you to read: Ang TimawaMy Profile

April 23, 2012 at 9:40 am (5 years ago)

Hi Axl, I was too busy exploring I forgot all about taking shots of the plac. Hinabol ko lang tong mga shots.:)

9. Mai Flores
    April 23, 2012 at 9:02 am (5 years ago)

It would have been a good treat for us if we knew about Culion Island. We were in Coron just this January. It would have been enriching to do a quick tour then.

10. shawi
    April 23, 2012 at 8:52 am (5 years ago)

i think i also read somewhere that there’s a bed and breakfast or lodge being run their for a cause. i just can’t recall the name. thanks for writing about Culion.
    shawi invites you to read: Funny Road Signs in ItalyMy Profile

April 23, 2012 at 9:41 am (5 years ago)

Hi Shawi, yes. It’s Hotel Maya, run by Jesuits priests.:)