Sulong Sining III: A Night of Classical and Jazz Music

I had the pleasure of being invited to a one of a kind concert featuring some of our very own award winning Filipino artists last night. At first, my husband and I were a bit apprehensive since this would be the first time that we would watch a concert featuring music of Puccini, Legrand, Mozart, and Bolling. But curiosity got the better of us so we went, anyway, the tickets were given to us for free.

We were late and missed the first performance but we arrived just in time to witness soprano Joy Abalon Tamayo sing, A Piece of Sky, with the master himself, Jovianney Emmanuela Tamayo, on the piano. We were bowled over by her voice and her rendition. Then came the chamber music performance of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Allegro, Andante and Rondo: Allegre. My husband and I were captivated as Jimmy Tagala (violin), David Tagala (viola,) Giancarlo Gonzales (cello), and Joshua Alexander Manalo (piano) brought to life this Mozart masterpiece. My husband beside me kept on saying over and over “galing”, he being a fan of rock and roll and reggae music, while I had a silly smile plastered on my face the whole time. When they came back after intermisson to do another set of chamber music, my husband and I were pretty much at the edge of our seats. This time, they did Claude Bolling’s Baroque in Rythm, Gallop, Romantique and Cello. We were literally swayed by the rhythm of jazz music as played by these young artists. Joy Abalon Tamayo’s rendition of Light of a Million Mornings, with Jiovanney Emmanuel Cruz, again on piano, was the perfect ending to an enchanting night of great music. I am so glad we came and witnessed these amazing Filipino artists. I now have deep appreciation for this type of music and deep respect to these young brood of musicians.

chamber music

Move over One Direction, this is my new boy band.:)

Bravo! Bravo!

the young brood of award winning Filipino artists

Sulong Sining III: Seekers of the Truth was presented by the Outlook Pointe Foundation. This foundation was formed in 2007 by a group of creative individuals whose vision is to rekindle the Filipinos’ consciousness through arts. Their aim is to bring about change through its various projects with various photographers and musicians. They hope to ignite inspiration among Filipinos to commit to the concerted efforts of reviving the goodness of the Filipinos soul. Through their projects, at the foremost of which is Sulong Sining (Forward Art), they hope to rekindle the passion for our nation through arts. True to its mission and vision, a portion of the collected proceeds from the concert will be used for the benefit of the Philippine School for the Arts, a secondary school for the artistically gifted and talented children and adolescent, in Los Banos, Laguna.

It was very timely that this concert was held on the day that we were commemorating the People Power Revolution. On the way home, I was telling my husband that it’s sad how the children of today cannot relate anymore to the People Power Revolution and how they treat it as just an event that we discuss in the classroom and read about in books. I guess in a way the story is somehow lost to our children’s consciousness but I believe that its message still remains. Change. Nation Building. Last night, I witnessed how the message of People Power Revolution lives on, through the arts and through these young bloods who have nothing but great desire to bring honor and glory to our country through their music and passion.

“The culture and arts of the country is the window to the soul of a people.” I heard it often said during the concert. Raul Guingona, who by the way was an excellent, excellent host, even quoted Carlos Cedran at one point and shared that, “When Intramuros was destroyed, our soul came down with it, and we never have recovered since.” But what does it mean really? I guess, unless we recognize the essential things inside us, Filipinos, like creativity, passion, excellence, and harmony, and bring these forward, we can never be really great as a nation. For greatness comes only when the soul is ready…

46 Comments on Sulong Sining III: A Night of Classical and Jazz Music

1. Chel
    March 4, 2012 at 3:47 pm (6 years ago)

I think I may have fallen asleep if I attended this event. I prefer classical and jazz music if I’m on a romantic date and when I’m at home. Makes me feel so relax!
    Chel invites you to read: 03 March 2012: Room/Apartment/Unit hunting!My Profile

March 5, 2012 at 1:04 am (6 years ago)

Ahahaha, that is if you don’t get captivated by the amazing performance of the artists.:)

March 1, 2012 at 8:17 am (6 years ago)

Thanks Deborah. It was.:)

February 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks Trisha.:)

February 29, 2012 at 4:49 am (6 years ago)

Good for you ayzee.:)

February 29, 2012 at 1:43 am (6 years ago)

Thanks Bien.:)

2. markpogi
    February 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm (6 years ago)

I seldom see posts about classical music and jazz at the same time. These days, I’d prefer listening to classic music as it soothes my mind and calms me after a stressful day. ^_^
    markpogi invites you to read: Changing Covers (FHM March 2012 Issue)My Profile

3. Didi
    February 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm (6 years ago)

I had Mozart music on for my baby when she was in my womb till she was a year old she listened to it. Makes babies more intelligent they say ha ha. Haven’t been to a classical concert though. I’m more into watching plays and concerts with screaming fans lol. *)

February 29, 2012 at 12:24 am (6 years ago)

Ahahaha, I never thought that I would enjoy myself here Didi, like you I am more into watching plays and concerts with screaming fans.:)

4. mheanne ojeda
    February 28, 2012 at 11:27 am (6 years ago)

envy* envy* i’m a huge fan of classical music and have a collections of cds and tapes (old!) of mozart, legrand, bethooven, etc.and attended music festivals in the US. but i haven’t attended a classical concert by Filipinos. it must have been a great experience!
    mheanne ojeda invites you to read: UK Winter 2012: Touring Around London, England In Tubes!My Profile

February 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm (6 years ago)

It truly was Mheanne.:)

5. paliiits
    February 28, 2012 at 6:51 am (6 years ago)

swerte naman at nakalibre, and mas maswerte kasi napanuod mo tong young talented Filipinos na nagpeperfrom ng classical music. Thanks for sharing mam! πŸ™‚
    paliiits invites you to read: Pulp Summer Slam 12My Profile

February 28, 2012 at 8:33 am (6 years ago)

Thanks too Paliits.:)

6. Kathy Ngo
    February 28, 2012 at 1:24 am (6 years ago)

Seems you still had a lot of fun so all’s good πŸ™‚
    Kathy Ngo invites you to read: Pasinaya 2012My Profile

February 28, 2012 at 2:54 am (6 years ago)

Yes Kathy, really fun.:)

February 28, 2012 at 2:55 am (6 years ago)

Yes, it was only for free.:)

7. Jenny O'Toole
    February 27, 2012 at 6:08 pm (6 years ago)

My husband and I love classical and jazz musical concert. We watch every year on the television the one that is on BBC that’s yearly show. We are drinking wine whilst watching and when we are drunk we dance. Hehehe Their instruments are the same instruments used in our chapel. Thanks for sharing your classical experience.
    Jenny O’Toole invites you to read: Let’s play with Mr Potato HeadMy Profile

February 28, 2012 at 2:56 am (6 years ago)

Oh good for you Jenny.:)

8. MommyGagay
    February 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm (6 years ago)

wow! such a great opportunity to be invited to attend to any events like this.. ;} good for you sis..and i guess, your time watching there is really worth-it. πŸ˜€

9. Gil Camporazo
    February 27, 2012 at 2:35 pm (6 years ago)

Classical and jazz music are those pieces of music which I endear so much, especially when it is rendered by violin. As the stringed instruments sounded in harmony with a lovely weeping of a violin, I couldn’t help myself to fully appreciate the sound or the music. It’s really great listening to classical and jazz music.

February 28, 2012 at 2:59 am (6 years ago)

Thanks Gil.:)

February 28, 2012 at 3:02 am (6 years ago)

It was my first time last Saturday and it was all “WOW” too.:)

February 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks Ralph.:)

February 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm (6 years ago)

First time for us to watch this kind of concert, surprisingly we enjoyed ourselves.:)

10. Novie Godmalin
    February 27, 2012 at 11:54 am (6 years ago)

I am not into concerts much. First concert I have seen was BEP in Alton Tower in England with special participation of LMFAO, LABRYNTH and another girl group from the UK. This looks relaxing and I bet masarap cgru tulog mo after nila kumanta? Tnx for the share!
    Novie Godmalin invites you to read: CHEAP Cash Remittances From AbroadMy Profile

February 27, 2012 at 12:44 pm (6 years ago)

Yes, I was actually humming the melody just before I fell asleep.:)

11. dg formoso
    February 27, 2012 at 11:13 am (6 years ago)

The last two concerts I saw: Rihhana/Chris Brown, Neyo. I would love to see a concert like this in the future. I am just wondering what people wear during concerts like this. I’m a plain-shirt-maong-jeans type of person. Baka di ako papasukin.

February 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm (6 years ago)

Ahahaha DG. My husband was wearing maong and just plain polo shirt. Theaters and concerts like this are not that conservative anymore when it comes to dress code unlike before. Come as you may na ang drama. Meron fully made up and meron naman super casual, carry lang di naman sila tinataboy.:)

February 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm (6 years ago)

Yes Shiela super relaxing indeed.:)

12. Sionee
    February 27, 2012 at 4:17 am (6 years ago)

Wow! I’d be sharing this to my daughter…I’m sure she’ll be inspired to take up a musical instrument lesson as her summer activity. πŸ˜€
    Sionee invites you to read: Potipot Island, ZambalesMy Profile

February 27, 2012 at 8:01 am (6 years ago)

Yes, hopefully this might inspire her.:)

13. leira
    February 26, 2012 at 3:09 pm (6 years ago)

great post.. it was very informative and it was easily understood. music is universal and just looking at the pictures i already knew that the audience came home with something so special

February 27, 2012 at 12:54 am (6 years ago)

Thanks Leira.:)