The Art of Racing In The Rain

February 23, 2012 · 32 comments

in Great Reads, Inspirational

“In Mongolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog’s master whispers into the dog’s ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog’s soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.

I learned that from a program on the National Geographic channel, so I believe it is true. Not all dogs return as men, they say; only those who are ready.

I am ready.”—Enzo, The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain, is a novel written by Garth Stein, an American author and film producer.  The story is told by a lovable mutt, Enzo, who dreams of dying and returning back to earth in human form.  He sees himself as different from other dogs because he loves to chase cars.  He learns by watching TV with his best friend, Denny, who is an up and coming race car driver.  As he awaits his death, he looks back at what his family have been through the past years –the sacrifices that Denny has to make for his career, the eventual loss of Denny’s wife, Eve, due to cancer, and Denny’s three year battle with Eve’s parents over the custody of his child, Zoe.

Garth Stein

This is such a heart wrenchingly funny story of family, love, loyalty and hope.  I had a hard time putting down this book once I started reading it.  I laugh a little and cried a lot as I was getting deeper into the story.  The extraordinary friendship between Enzo and Denny is amazing. I can’t help but think about my dog Bruns and recalling the times when he was Enzo-like to me.:)  I was impressed with the way Garth Stein seamlessly incorporated his vast knowledge of  the dog’s psyche (how they respond to human and how they perceive things) in the story. If you don’t like or love dogs, after reading this, you definitely would want one.   I was thinking at the onset that this will probably be one of those novels with a predictable ending.  But the unexpected twist towards the last few chapters got me hooked till the end.

Surprisingly, I did not feel any heaviness in the heart even after crying so many times while reading this.  It did not leave me bothered and affected for days, the way Nicholas Sparks’ books often do.  In the end, you would want nothing but to celebrate with the characters because their story ended very well. There’s that renewed sense of hope and celebration of life towards the end.  It is also refreshing to note how Garth Stein presented in the book the man’s perspective in situations where woman will openly respond to with drama.  It gave me an insight on how a man’s mind works in certain situations.

The title of the book is as such because Enzo learned, through Denny’ experiences in racing, that life is simply not about going fast. He learned that to successfully navigate through life’s learning curves, you have to use the techniques needed in the race track.  If you are a guy who is into racing, you will find this book interesting because of those tidbits of racing facts and infos that form part of the story. If you are a girl who’s looking for a nice and easy yet meaningful read, this one is for you also.

Garth Stein

There is a special adaptation for young people of this book which is titled Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog. This is the simplified version for kids.  Minor changes have been made here so that kids can fully understand and enjoy the story of Enzo without parents having to worry about the sensitive or explicit material in the book. A movie is also in the works, although no definite time yet.  Here’s a videobook trailer:

I fully recommend this book to anyone who love dogs or is willing to love dogs.  This is beautifully crafted and truly captivating.  It has the right formula of love, tragedy, redemption, making it a genuine best seller.  On a scale of 1-5, I will give this a 5.:)

Article by

Welcome to my little space! I am Blanca. Nan's widow. Bianca Angela's mom. Full time teacher. Freelance print and online writer. Prayer Ambassador. Running Mama. Avid supporter of anything pinoy, eco-friendly and handmade. Big fan of inspiring, innovative, and life changing ideas. Hope you learned a thing or two while pouring over my notes! Thanks for dropping by and I hope you'll visit again soon.:)

has written 399 awesome articles for us at blancnotes

| Facebook |

{ 32 comments… read them below or add one }

Serdar June 22, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Very pleasant hobby, good fun.
Serdar invites you to read: Dirtbike RacingMy Profile

design June 16, 2014 at 3:06 am

Excellent article. I certainly love this website.

Keep it up!
design invites you to read: designMy Profile

cube world cracked January 21, 2014 at 1:20 am

Downloading Dice world typically fees cash. I will provide you Dice World entire edition which you can down load below for totally free.
Indeed you will be in a position to enjoy Cube Globe in a couple of minutes right here for free, all you have to do is down load Cube
World with the website link supplied right here.
We incorporated Dice Globe crack so soon after you put in Cube Planet Alpha,
you can play it instantly. Cube Globe is a 3D action RPG kind game that is
created/produced by Wollay and his spouse.
Dice Planet was commenced in June 2011 and now, the Alpha variation is out previously.
cube world cracked invites you to read: cube world crackedMy Profile

pure colon cleanse supplement what does it do for you January 15, 2014 at 1:57 am

Somebopdy necessarily lend a hand to make significantly posts I wwould state.
Thhis is the very fist time I frequented your websikte
page and so far? I amazed with the research you made tto create thiis particular publish extraordinary.
Wonderful task!
pure colon cleanse supplement what does it do for you invites you to read: pure colon cleanse supplement what does it do for youMy Profile

belly pain January 14, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Нowdy! Do yοu use Twitter? I’d like tto follow you
if thaat would be ok. Ι’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and loolk forward to new posts.
belly pain invites you to read: belly painMy Profile

medical administrative assistant how long Does it take January 12, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Enzo the lovable mutt.
Regards
medical administrative assistant how long Does it take invites you to read: medical administrative assistant how long Does it takeMy Profile

buy instagram followers for $2 January 10, 2014 at 8:31 pm

ӏf some one desires to be uρԁated with latest technologies afterward he ust be visit
this ωeb page and be uup to date all thhe time.
buy instagram followers for $2 invites you to read: buy instagram followers for $2My Profile

cheap cheapest car insurance online uk January 7, 2014 at 5:23 am

Very gooԁ post. I ԁefinitely appreciate this website.
Keep it uр!
cheap cheapest car insurance online uk invites you to read: cheap cheapest car insurance online ukMy Profile

Need for Speed Rivals generateur January 1, 2014 at 5:21 am

Need for Speed: Rivals mettra en vedette un jeux similaire à un besoin
de 2010 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit titre dans
la franchise Need for Speed avec des voitures exotiques et de la police poursuites à haute vitesse.
Les joueurs prennent le rôle d’un coureur ou un flic, avec de
chaque côté de la loi offrant son propre ensemble de défis, les risques et les récompenses.
Rivals mettra en vedette onze gadgets évolutifs tels que les PGE, ondes de choc et la possibilité de faire appel à des barrages
routiers. Le jeu se déroule dans le une ville nomme ‘Redview County’, une zone de monde ouvert qui est
l’hôte de déchets entre police et aux voleurs.
Le monde ouvert mettra en vedette une structure similaire
à un besoin de 2012 for Speed: Most Wanted, avec plusieurs sauts,
des pièges de vitesse et les voitures à débloquer.
Need for Speed Rivals generateur invites you to read: Need for Speed Rivals generateurMy Profile

Need for Speed Rivals serial number December 30, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Aren’t you tired of playing the game countless hours
in order to generate the items in the game. What outcome you get by playing it
like 12 hours a day. Small amount of items get increase and you’re happy
with that. What If I tell you that you can generate unlimited gems, resources and other things in the
game. YES!! Unlimited Items and you will not have to play the countless hours in order
to beat your friends or family members. If you are looking
to the way to get a ton of Gems, Elixir & Gold without spending your money, then this
Clash of Clans Hack website is for you.
Need for Speed Rivals serial number invites you to read: Need for Speed Rivals serial numberMy Profile

https://www.signupforms.com November 5, 2013 at 7:59 am

Awesome issues here. I am very satisfied to see your article.
Thanks so much and I’m taking a look forward to touch you.
Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?
https://www.signupforms.com invites you to read: https://www.signupforms.comMy Profile

Wagyu Beef September 7, 2012 at 10:15 am

This weekend my friend and I have been talking about Wagyu beef, I like that pic with a deer walking freely there, Every dish came nice with a wine Perfect! the beef looks scrumptious though. Best in the world! It lived up to its expectation.
Wagyu Beef invites you to read: 5 Star Brisket PointsMy Profile

markpogi
February 28, 2012 at 9:53 am

That quote above intrigues me. My wife loves dogs so much I may grab a copy of this book ^_^
markpogi invites you to read: The week that was (February 19 – 25)My Profile

Blanca February 28, 2012 at 12:05 pm

This novel is for her then.:)

ROMELO
February 28, 2012 at 2:07 am

if I’m going to get this book then I’d probably get the kids version… why not, it’ll be easier to read and it might have cool pictures too…
ROMELO invites you to read: Everquest Goes Free-To-Play This MarchMy Profile

Blanca February 28, 2012 at 2:53 am

Yeah Romelo, the kids version’s cool too.:)

Stacy
February 27, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I love dogs! This might be for me
Stacy invites you to read: Malcolm’s Burger: Malcolm’s Classic Wagyu BurgerMy Profile

grasya
February 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm

hmm… this book shall be on my next bucket list. Thanks for sharing ^_^
grasya invites you to read: Cheap Budget Accommodations in BoholMy Profile

Blanca February 28, 2012 at 2:59 am

You’re welcome Grasya.:)

Jena Isle
February 27, 2012 at 10:21 am

Now, you have convinced me to read it. Such a well constructed book review. You write very well. Congrats.
Jena Isle invites you to read: Igorot Costume, PhiippinesMy Profile

Blanca February 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Thanks Jena.:)

rockstarmomma
February 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm

this book is quite interesting. I also like dogs though I never had the chance to finish a book these days. busy lang. if only i have the time though, I would.. :)
rockstarmomma invites you to read: @Home: Where Greatness StartsMy Profile

Blanca February 27, 2012 at 12:54 am

Thanks rockstarmomma.:)

Krystle Pingol
February 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm

i just missed reading a good book..
Krystle Pingol invites you to read: Kanta Pilipinas Not a Mere Singing ContestMy Profile

Blanca February 27, 2012 at 12:56 am

I know Krystle, with so many things going on around us sometimes it is hard to find the time.:)

Ness
February 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm

This is really inspiring..
Ness invites you to read: Are You Kidding Me??My Profile

Mei
February 26, 2012 at 1:35 pm

based on this post, I believe this is a good novel. I wish I cold grab a copy of this. Well I might just search for ebooks :P
Mei invites you to read: Girlfriends Bonding #1My Profile

Blanca February 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Thanks Mei.:)

Herbert
February 26, 2012 at 11:31 am

Looks indulging, I wanted to read this one but I dont have all the time :( Thank you for sharing this one, nkaka inspire :)
Herbert invites you to read: Blogging with Ease Using ShortcutBloggingMy Profile

Blanca February 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Thanks Herbert.:)

Algene
February 26, 2012 at 9:11 am

This post reminds me na I haven’t read books for months now. Buti ka pa, may time to read novels :) Anyway, I also find the title interesting. And the cover is effective kasi ang cute ng dog..
Algene invites you to read: Who is Simsimi?My Profile

Blanca February 26, 2012 at 9:21 am

It is right and Enzo in the story is so cute too.:)