The Art of Racing In The Rain

“In Mongolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog’s master whispers into the dog’s ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog’s soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.

I learned that from a program on the National Geographic channel, so I believe it is true. Not all dogs return as men, they say; only those who are ready.

I am ready.”—Enzo, The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain, is a novel written by Garth Stein, an American author and film producer.  The story is told by a lovable mutt, Enzo, who dreams of dying and returning back to earth in human form.  He sees himself as different from other dogs because he loves to chase cars.  He learns by watching TV with his best friend, Denny, who is an up and coming race car driver.  As he awaits his death, he looks back at what his family have been through the past years –the sacrifices that Denny has to make for his career, the eventual loss of Denny’s wife, Eve, due to cancer, and Denny’s three year battle with Eve’s parents over the custody of his child, Zoe.

This is such a heart wrenchingly funny story of family, love, loyalty and hope.  I had a hard time putting down this book once I started reading it.  I laugh a little and cried a lot as I was getting deeper into the story.  The extraordinary friendship between Enzo and Denny is amazing. I can’t help but think about my dog Bruns and recalling the times when he was Enzo-like to me.:)  I was impressed with the way Garth Stein seamlessly incorporated his vast knowledge of  the dog’s psyche (how they respond to human and how they perceive things) in the story. If you don’t like or love dogs, after reading this, you definitely would want one.   I was thinking at the onset that this will probably be one of those novels with a predictable ending.  But the unexpected twist towards the last few chapters got me hooked till the end.

Surprisingly, I did not feel any heaviness in the heart even after crying so many times while reading this.  It did not leave me bothered and affected for days, the way Nicholas Sparks’ books often do.  In the end, you would want nothing but to celebrate with the characters because their story ended very well. There’s that renewed sense of hope and celebration of life towards the end.  It is also refreshing to note how Garth Stein presented in the book the man’s perspective in situations where woman will openly respond to with drama.  It gave me an insight on how a man’s mind works in certain situations.

The title of the book is as such because Enzo learned, through Denny’ experiences in racing, that life is simply not about going fast. He learned that to successfully navigate through life’s learning curves, you have to use the techniques needed in the race track.  If you are a guy who is into racing, you will find this book interesting because of those tidbits of racing facts and infos that form part of the story. If you are a girl who’s looking for a nice and easy yet meaningful read, this one is for you also.

There is a special adaptation for young people of this book which is titled Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog. This is the simplified version for kids.  Minor changes have been made here so that kids can fully understand and enjoy the story of Enzo without parents having to worry about the sensitive or explicit material in the book. A movie is also in the works, although no definite time yet.  Here’s a videobook trailer:

I fully recommend this book to anyone who love dogs or is willing to love dogs.  This is beautifully crafted and truly captivating.  It has the right formula of love, tragedy, redemption, making it a genuine best seller.  On a scale of 1-5, I will give this a 5.:)

50 Comments on The Art of Racing In The Rain

1. kavin
    January 3, 2018 at 1:49 pm (2 weeks ago)

Great post. I really love to known more about dogs.

2. Micheal
    August 17, 2017 at 11:01 am (5 months ago)

splendid troubles here. i’m very happy to look your article.
    thanks so much and that i’m taking a look forward to contact you.

3. dailysms24
    August 10, 2017 at 10:30 pm (5 months ago)

Great article. Every point depicting the essentials of outsourcing is extremely
    very much depicted and made less demanding to get it. I really enjoyed reading your
    blog, you have lots of great content. I look forward to reading more posts from you.

4. gamerhack
    July 31, 2017 at 4:26 pm (6 months ago)

wow thanks for this post!

5. Hthtras Hthtras
    July 25, 2017 at 8:10 am (6 months ago)

Looks indulging, I wanted to read this one but

6. Hthtras Hthtras
    July 25, 2017 at 5:25 am (6 months ago)

This post reminds me na I haven’t read books for months now. Buti ka pa, may time to read novels 🙂 Anyway, I also find the title interesting. And the cover is effective kasi ang cute ng dog..

7. Name*
    July 18, 2017 at 3:53 am (6 months ago)

It is right and Enzo in the story is so cute too.:)

8. Name*
    June 20, 2017 at 4:43 pm (7 months ago)

This blog uses premium CommentLuv which allows you to

9. Name*
    May 22, 2017 at 1:55 pm (8 months ago)

10. Danish
    May 10, 2017 at 11:33 am (8 months ago)

Really good work.tahnk you very mush.

11. zafar sarparah
    April 28, 2017 at 6:39 pm (9 months ago)

wow what a nice post brilliant.

12. sony
    March 18, 2017 at 2:29 am (10 months ago)

hello, sir i have gone through to all your posts. They all are good, and they all are useful for us. I check your site regularly. We hope that you will provide better and more stuff with us in future. Thank you.

13. Cabocribs
    November 9, 2016 at 10:26 am (1 year ago)

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing such an article with so much pain in the story.
    I like the concept and surprised by the way Mongolians people loved there dogs.

14. CBSE Date Sheet 2016
    March 31, 2016 at 11:28 am (2 years ago)

Wow!! that is interesting post i am reading and enjoyed your post thanks and keep sharing.

15. Mothers Day Massages
    March 30, 2016 at 11:14 am (2 years ago)

Great article!! thanks for sharing racing in the rain. Recently i am reading this article and i love this website.

16. best bible quotes about life
    September 19, 2014 at 5:27 pm (3 years ago)

Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful article.
    Many thanks for providing this information.

17. Serdar
    June 22, 2014 at 3:09 pm (4 years ago)

Very pleasant hobby, good fun.

18. design
    June 16, 2014 at 3:06 am (4 years ago)

Excellent article. I certainly love this website.

Keep it up!

19. cube world cracked
    January 21, 2014 at 1:20 am (4 years ago)

Downloading Dice world typically fees cash. I will provide you Dice World entire edition which you can down load below for totally free.
    Indeed you will be in a position to enjoy Cube Globe in a couple of minutes right here for free, all you have to do is down load Cube
    World with the website link supplied right here.
    We incorporated Dice Globe crack so soon after you put in Cube Planet Alpha,
    you can play it instantly. Cube Globe is a 3D action RPG kind game that is
    created/produced by Wollay and his spouse.
    Dice Planet was commenced in June 2011 and now, the Alpha variation is out previously.

20. pure colon cleanse supplement what does it do for you
    January 15, 2014 at 1:57 am (4 years ago)

Somebopdy necessarily lend a hand to make significantly posts I wwould state.
    Thhis is the very fist time I frequented your websikte
    page and so far? I amazed with the research you made tto create thiis particular publish extraordinary.
    Wonderful task!

21. belly pain
    January 14, 2014 at 5:59 pm (4 years ago)

Нowdy! Do yοu use Twitter? I’d like tto follow you
    if thaat would be ok. Ι’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and loolk forward to new posts.

22. buy instagram followers for $2
    January 10, 2014 at 8:31 pm (4 years ago)

ӏf some one desires to be uρԁated with latest technologies afterward he ust be visit
    this ωeb page and be uup to date all thhe time.

23. Need for Speed Rivals generateur
    January 1, 2014 at 5:21 am (4 years ago)

Need for Speed: Rivals mettra en vedette un jeux similaire à un besoin
    de 2010 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit titre dans
    la franchise Need for Speed avec des voitures exotiques et de la police poursuites à haute vitesse.
    Les joueurs prennent le rôle d’un coureur ou un flic, avec de
    chaque côté de la loi offrant son propre ensemble de défis, les risques et les récompenses.
    Rivals mettra en vedette onze gadgets évolutifs tels que les PGE, ondes de choc et la possibilité de faire appel à des barrages
    routiers. Le jeu se déroule dans le une ville nomme ‘Redview County’, une zone de monde ouvert qui est
    l’hôte de déchets entre police et aux voleurs.
    Le monde ouvert mettra en vedette une structure similaire
    à un besoin de 2012 for Speed: Most Wanted, avec plusieurs sauts,
    des pièges de vitesse et les voitures à débloquer.

24. Need for Speed Rivals serial number
    December 30, 2013 at 10:00 pm (4 years ago)

Aren’t you tired of playing the game countless hours
    in order to generate the items in the game. What outcome you get by playing it
    like 12 hours a day. Small amount of items get increase and you’re happy
    with that. What If I tell you that you can generate unlimited gems, resources and other things in the
    game. YES!! Unlimited Items and you will not have to play the countless hours in order
    to beat your friends or family members. If you are looking
    to the way to get a ton of Gems, Elixir & Gold without spending your money, then this
    Clash of Clans Hack website is for you.

25. https://www.signupforms.com
    November 5, 2013 at 7:59 am (4 years ago)

Awesome issues here. I am very satisfied to see your article.
    Thanks so much and I’m taking a look forward to touch you.
    Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

26. Wagyu Beef
    September 7, 2012 at 10:15 am (5 years ago)

This weekend my friend and I have been talking about Wagyu beef, I like that pic with a deer walking freely there, Every dish came nice with a wine Perfect! the beef looks scrumptious though. Best in the world! It lived up to its expectation.

27. markpogi
    February 28, 2012 at 9:53 am (6 years ago)

That quote above intrigues me. My wife loves dogs so much I may grab a copy of this book ^_^

February 28, 2012 at 12:05 pm (6 years ago)

This novel is for her then.:)

28. ROMELO
    February 28, 2012 at 2:07 am (6 years ago)

if I’m going to get this book then I’d probably get the kids version… why not, it’ll be easier to read and it might have cool pictures too…

February 28, 2012 at 2:53 am (6 years ago)

Yeah Romelo, the kids version’s cool too.:)

29. Stacy
    February 27, 2012 at 6:51 pm (6 years ago)

I love dogs! This might be for me

30. grasya
    February 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm (6 years ago)

hmm… this book shall be on my next bucket list. Thanks for sharing ^_^

February 28, 2012 at 2:59 am (6 years ago)

You’re welcome Grasya.:)

31. Jena Isle
    February 27, 2012 at 10:21 am (6 years ago)

Now, you have convinced me to read it. Such a well constructed book review. You write very well. Congrats.

February 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks Jena.:)

32. rockstarmomma
    February 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm (6 years ago)

this book is quite interesting. I also like dogs though I never had the chance to finish a book these days. busy lang. if only i have the time though, I would.. 🙂

February 27, 2012 at 12:54 am (6 years ago)

Thanks rockstarmomma.:)

33. Krystle Pingol
    February 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm (6 years ago)

i just missed reading a good book..

February 27, 2012 at 12:56 am (6 years ago)

I know Krystle, with so many things going on around us sometimes it is hard to find the time.:)

34. Ness
    February 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm (6 years ago)

This is really inspiring..

35. Mei
    February 26, 2012 at 1:35 pm (6 years ago)

based on this post, I believe this is a good novel. I wish I cold grab a copy of this. Well I might just search for ebooks 😛

February 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks Mei.:)

36. Herbert
    February 26, 2012 at 11:31 am (6 years ago)

Looks indulging, I wanted to read this one but I dont have all the time 🙁 Thank you for sharing this one, nkaka inspire 🙂

February 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm (6 years ago)

Thanks Herbert.:)

37. Algene
    February 26, 2012 at 9:11 am (6 years ago)

February 26, 2012 at 9:21 am (6 years ago)

It is right and Enzo in the story is so cute too.:)