The Art of Racing In The Rain

“In Mongolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog’s master whispers into the dog’s ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog’s soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.

I learned that from a program on the National Geographic channel, so I believe it is true. Not all dogs return as men, they say; only those who are ready.

I am ready.”—Enzo, The Art of Racing in the Rain

The Art of Racing in the Rain, is a novel written by Garth Stein, an American author and film producer.  The story is told by a lovable mutt, Enzo, who dreams of dying and returning back to earth in human form.  He sees himself as different from other dogs because he loves to chase cars.  He learns by watching TV with his best friend, Denny, who is an up and coming race car driver.  As he awaits his death, he looks back at what his family have been through the past years –the sacrifices that Denny has to make for his career, the eventual loss of Denny’s wife, Eve, due to cancer, and Denny’s three year battle with Eve’s parents over the custody of his child, Zoe.

Garth Stein

This is such a heart wrenchingly funny story of family, love, loyalty and hope.  I had a hard time putting down this book once I started reading it.  I laugh a little and cried a lot as I was getting deeper into the story.  The extraordinary friendship between Enzo and Denny is amazing. I can’t help but think about my dog Bruns and recalling the times when he was Enzo-like to me.:)  I was impressed with the way Garth Stein seamlessly incorporated his vast knowledge of  the dog’s psyche (how they respond to human and how they perceive things) in the story. If you don’t like or love dogs, after reading this, you definitely would want one.   I was thinking at the onset that this will probably be one of those novels with a predictable ending.  But the unexpected twist towards the last few chapters got me hooked till the end.

Surprisingly, I did not feel any heaviness in the heart even after crying so many times while reading this.  It did not leave me bothered and affected for days, the way Nicholas Sparks’ books often do.  In the end, you would want nothing but to celebrate with the characters because their story ended very well. There’s that renewed sense of hope and celebration of life towards the end.  It is also refreshing to note how Garth Stein presented in the book the man’s perspective in situations where woman will openly respond to with drama.  It gave me an insight on how a man’s mind works in certain situations.

The title of the book is as such because Enzo learned, through Denny’ experiences in racing, that life is simply not about going fast. He learned that to successfully navigate through life’s learning curves, you have to use the techniques needed in the race track.  If you are a guy who is into racing, you will find this book interesting because of those tidbits of racing facts and infos that form part of the story. If you are a girl who’s looking for a nice and easy yet meaningful read, this one is for you also.

Garth Stein

There is a special adaptation for young people of this book which is titled Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog. This is the simplified version for kids.  Minor changes have been made here so that kids can fully understand and enjoy the story of Enzo without parents having to worry about the sensitive or explicit material in the book. A movie is also in the works, although no definite time yet.  Here’s a videobook trailer:

I fully recommend this book to anyone who love dogs or is willing to love dogs.  This is beautifully crafted and truly captivating.  It has the right formula of love, tragedy, redemption, making it a genuine best seller.  On a scale of 1-5, I will give this a 5.:)

33 Comments on The Art of Racing In The Rain

1. design
    June 16, 2014 at 3:06 am (1 year ago)

Excellent article. I certainly love this website.

Keep it up!
    design invites you to read: designMy Profile

2. cube world cracked
    January 21, 2014 at 1:20 am (2 years ago)

Downloading Dice world typically fees cash. I will provide you Dice World entire edition which you can down load below for totally free.
    Indeed you will be in a position to enjoy Cube Globe in a couple of minutes right here for free, all you have to do is down load Cube
    World with the website link supplied right here.
    We incorporated Dice Globe crack so soon after you put in Cube Planet Alpha,
    you can play it instantly. Cube Globe is a 3D action RPG kind game that is
    created/produced by Wollay and his spouse.
    Dice Planet was commenced in June 2011 and now, the Alpha variation is out previously.
    cube world cracked invites you to read: cube world crackedMy Profile

3. belly pain
    January 14, 2014 at 5:59 pm (2 years ago)

Нowdy! Do yοu use Twitter? I’d like tto follow you
    if thaat would be ok. Ι’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and loolk forward to new posts.
    belly pain invites you to read: belly painMy Profile

4. Need for Speed Rivals generateur
    January 1, 2014 at 5:21 am (2 years ago)

Need for Speed: Rivals mettra en vedette un jeux similaire à un besoin
    de 2010 Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit titre dans
    la franchise Need for Speed avec des voitures exotiques et de la police poursuites à haute vitesse.
    Les joueurs prennent le rôle d’un coureur ou un flic, avec de
    chaque côté de la loi offrant son propre ensemble de défis, les risques et les récompenses.
    Rivals mettra en vedette onze gadgets évolutifs tels que les PGE, ondes de choc et la possibilité de faire appel à des barrages
    routiers. Le jeu se déroule dans le une ville nomme ‘Redview County’, une zone de monde ouvert qui est
    l’hôte de déchets entre police et aux voleurs.
    Le monde ouvert mettra en vedette une structure similaire
    à un besoin de 2012 for Speed: Most Wanted, avec plusieurs sauts,
    des pièges de vitesse et les voitures à débloquer.
    Need for Speed Rivals generateur invites you to read: Need for Speed Rivals generateurMy Profile

5. Need for Speed Rivals serial number
    December 30, 2013 at 10:00 pm (2 years ago)

Aren’t you tired of playing the game countless hours
    in order to generate the items in the game. What outcome you get by playing it
    like 12 hours a day. Small amount of items get increase and you’re happy
    with that. What If I tell you that you can generate unlimited gems, resources and other things in the
    game. YES!! Unlimited Items and you will not have to play the countless hours in order
    to beat your friends or family members. If you are looking
    to the way to get a ton of Gems, Elixir & Gold without spending your money, then this
    Clash of Clans Hack website is for you.
    Need for Speed Rivals serial number invites you to read: Need for Speed Rivals serial numberMy Profile

6. Wagyu Beef
    September 7, 2012 at 10:15 am (3 years ago)

This weekend my friend and I have been talking about Wagyu beef, I like that pic with a deer walking freely there, Every dish came nice with a wine Perfect! the beef looks scrumptious though. Best in the world! It lived up to its expectation.
    Wagyu Beef invites you to read: 5 Star Brisket PointsMy Profile

February 28, 2012 at 12:05 pm (4 years ago)

This novel is for her then.:)

February 28, 2012 at 2:07 am (4 years ago)

if I’m going to get this book then I’d probably get the kids version… why not, it’ll be easier to read and it might have cool pictures too…
    ROMELO invites you to read: Everquest Goes Free-To-Play This MarchMy Profile

February 28, 2012 at 2:53 am (4 years ago)

Yeah Romelo, the kids version’s cool too.:)

February 28, 2012 at 2:59 am (4 years ago)

You’re welcome Grasya.:)

8. Jena Isle
    February 27, 2012 at 10:21 am (4 years ago)

Now, you have convinced me to read it. Such a well constructed book review. You write very well. Congrats.
    Jena Isle invites you to read: Igorot Costume, PhiippinesMy Profile

February 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Jena.:)

9. rockstarmomma
    February 26, 2012 at 3:26 pm (4 years ago)

this book is quite interesting. I also like dogs though I never had the chance to finish a book these days. busy lang. if only i have the time though, I would.. :)
    rockstarmomma invites you to read: @Home: Where Greatness StartsMy Profile

February 27, 2012 at 12:54 am (4 years ago)

Thanks rockstarmomma.:)

February 27, 2012 at 12:56 am (4 years ago)

I know Krystle, with so many things going on around us sometimes it is hard to find the time.:)

10. Mei
    February 26, 2012 at 1:35 pm (4 years ago)

based on this post, I believe this is a good novel. I wish I cold grab a copy of this. Well I might just search for ebooks 😛
    Mei invites you to read: Girlfriends Bonding #1My Profile

February 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Mei.:)

February 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Herbert.:)

11. Algene
    February 26, 2012 at 9:11 am (4 years ago)

This post reminds me na I haven’t read books for months now. Buti ka pa, may time to read novels :) Anyway, I also find the title interesting. And the cover is effective kasi ang cute ng dog..
    Algene invites you to read: Who is Simsimi?My Profile

February 26, 2012 at 9:21 am (4 years ago)

It is right and Enzo in the story is so cute too.:)