On Loving Teaching

February 3, 2012 · 28 comments

in Inspirational, Teaching

I get amused whenever I receive different reactions from people when I tell them that I am a teacher. Some would look at me with wonder, while some with pity and regret. I can only assume that this kind of reaction stems from certain misconceptions about the teaching profession, the popular one being that, teachers are the most overworked but underpaid workers. If we would look closely though at other professions, one can say pretty much the same thing about them as well. People often have the tendency to look at the downside of teaching without realizing that teachers would probably rank the highest if a survey is to be conducted as to who among the work force feel most fulfilled about their job.

I never dreamed that I would become a teacher. It was never part of my grand plans when I was mapping out my future in college. I had already set my eyes on becoming one of those smart yuppies that you can see walking along the sleek streets of Makati. And I must admit, I did live the dream for a while, up until the time that God finally put his foot down when he realized that I should be getting down to the serious business of touching lives. I often smile in wonder when I think of how everything fell into place like a thousand puzzle pieces that fit snugly and perfectly into a whole when I finally decided to give teaching a try. I never imagined that I would go this far and actually love it this much. I feel like I have finally found my place in the world.

I love being a teacher because there is so much room to grow in this profession. You would learn many things that you probably would not even think of trying before. When I started teaching in preschool, I can’t hardly carry a tune or would have two left feet when dancing. By the end of my first year as a preschool teacher, I can belt out a mighty “I am a Little Tea Pot” and can do the “Hokie Pokie’ dance gracefully. I love the fact that I can be just about anything and everything inside the classroom. I can be a motivational speaker who can effect change, a performer and director who can move students into action, a facilitator who can bring out the best ideas from my students, or a counselor and mentor who can inspire positive behavior from students.

Like any other profession, teaching can be just as demanding. What probably sets it apart from others is that despite the endless lesson plans that need to be submitted and executed, the many papers to be checked, and grades to be computed, I still find enough time and energy to appreciate and enjoy the many simple yet extraordinary things that bring me so much joy every day. Burnout and stress are fleeting, and are things that can be cured by something as simple as a drawing from a student with a little note that says, you are the best teacher in the world. Though the pay of a teacher may not be as high as that of a salesman or businessman, the rewards are just as great, like seeing a wonderful transformation in a student happen right before your very eyes.

I am glad that God led me to this profession. I often imagine what I would say come judgment day when God would ask me to enumerate the things that I have done that would make me deserving of that one way ticket to heaven. I imagined that the architect beside me would eagerly volunteer that he built the world. The police officer at my side would be proud to admit that he purged the world of bad guys. The doctor across from me without a doubt would declare that he cured the world from sickness. The lawyer, who arguably would be the smartest looking among all of us, would most likely insist that he made everything right in the world. When I reach that moment when all eyes are on me including God’s, I imagine myself saying with all my hear t and with so much conviction that, I not only taught these people the necessary skills that made them the best in their fields, I showed them how to love and inspired them to care. And these are what truly move people to change the world for the better. For really, that’s how a teacher leaves a mark, that is how a teacher touches a life. That is also what made me love teaching, so much so that, I succumb to the call of this vocation without thinking twice.

Article by

Blanca, better known as Nan's widow, Bianca Angela's mom, and Woodrose's Mrs. Dela Cuz is a full time teacher and freelance writer for both print and online publications. She is an avid supporter of anything pinoy, eco-friendly and handmade, and a big fan of inspiring, innovative, and life changing ideas. She is passionate about three things: writing, teaching, and running. She can be reached at blancnotes@yahoo.com.

has written 404 awesome articles for us at blancnotes

| Facebook |

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

Dexter
February 5, 2012 at 5:06 am

just always remember that without the teacher there will be no doctor, engineer or whatever it is. I have high respect to teachers.
Dexter invites you to read: What is a Kidney?My Profile

Blanca February 5, 2012 at 7:17 am

Thanks Dexter.:)

Gemma February 5, 2012 at 3:08 am

“I can be a motivational speaker who can effect change, a performer and director who can move students into action, a facilitator who can bring out the best ideas from my students, or a counselor and mentor who can inspire positive behavior from students. ” – I love this!!!! Hi! teacher, from another teacher! love this post! :)
Gemma invites you to read: Gem Answers #5My Profile

Blanca February 5, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks Miss Gems. teacher ka din?! Galing!:)

Jenny O'Toole
February 4, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I never ever dream to become an educator, but I love teaching children as voluntary job in our town. I climb mountains to help to educate those indigenous people. I used to be a tutor, and I love it. They grown up now and God they are doing very well in life. I’m so proud of my students. Now that I have my own family I focus my spare time to my daughter. I believe education starts at home. BTW. Nice reading your article. Keep blogging!
Jenny O’Toole invites you to read: Great Ideas for Valentine’s DayMy Profile

Blanca February 5, 2012 at 7:36 am

Wow Jenny, that made teaching all the more noble for you. Funny, bu I am going to say the same thing about you, I’ve in fact bookmarked your page.:)

chrisair
February 4, 2012 at 8:04 am

wow hat’s off to all the teacher, like you I also dreamed of being one those yuppies in Makati, but end up working at home
chrisair invites you to read: KC on Rogue Cover Decoded in TwitterMy Profile

rudolphian February 4, 2012 at 1:52 am

wonderful article, just last year started teaching in college, part-time nga lang. teaching for me is not just a salaried job, its also a passion and vocation

Blanca February 4, 2012 at 6:54 am

Thanks Professor Rudolphian. :)

ROMELO
February 3, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I thought for two years and it was fun. Medyo stressful lang talaga kasi your dealing with kids tapos may mga parents pa namarereklamo sa grades ng mga anak nila hahaha….

Blanca February 4, 2012 at 7:07 am

I know Romelo, those are the downside of the job. hehe. But the upsides far outweigh the downsides.:)

Earlie February 3, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I was a teacher for 12 years and I am so proud that I was able to touch lives and become a part of my students achievements. More than the thank you’s that they said..i am so pleased to see them having a good life, obtaining their dreams, and being so grateful about their teachers.

It is not easy to be a dedicated and sincere educator, it not lucrative but i tell you it is the most amazing jib in the world.

The true aim of everyone who aspires to be a teacher should be, not to impart his own opinions, but to kindle minds.
Earlie invites you to read: ARTHRITIS and ATTITUDE GONE BADMy Profile

Blanca February 4, 2012 at 6:57 am

I agree Earlie.:)

fabgirl
February 3, 2012 at 4:51 pm

most of my relatives are teachers including my mom, lolo, lola and sister. it is a very noble profession and you should be proud to be one :)
fabgirl invites you to read: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Golden Globe’s Worst DressedMy Profile

Blanca February 4, 2012 at 6:59 am

I am fabgirl. Thanks for commenting.:)

Mrs. Kolca
February 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I miss teaching. I am planning to take a master’s degree this year so hope to be back to teach like 2 years after.

Visiting from FBW! :)
Mrs. Kolca invites you to read: The Butterfly Pillow by SpinkieMy Profile

Blanca February 4, 2012 at 7:09 am

Thanks Mrs. Kolca, that teaching job will still be ready for you by that time.:)

Blair Villanueva
February 3, 2012 at 3:47 pm

thanks for sharing po! Kudos to all teachers
Blair Villanueva invites you to read: Guest Writer: Carlo VillanuevaMy Profile

Blanca February 4, 2012 at 7:12 am

Thanks Blair.:)

lalalapatricia
February 3, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Nice post you got here! Loving your profession is quite difficult. Must have a lot of patient and i don’t have that. A very short temper here :D Godbless!

lalalapatricia invites you to read: Valentine’s Wishlist x Midnight SnacksMy Profile

Lea
February 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I love reading this, Ms. Blanca ;) It is indeed a vocation. I never wanted to be a teacher. I never had the patience hahaha. That’s why I admire teachers for their patience, their resourcefulness, and their other virtues. Lots of students nowadays have attitude problems (sense of entitlement, etc.) and I don’t know how teachers manage to deal with them. So, hats off to you. May your tribe increase :)

Blanca February 3, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Lea for your kind words.:)

VIoly
February 3, 2012 at 1:09 pm

alam mo nung bata pa ako I always dream of being a teacher. I always buy a chalk from my baon, then I will write on our house walls.. hehe.. sa laro namin na bahay-bahayan ako lagi ang teacher. ;) ) Sometimes talaga things don’t turn out the way we plan. I have high respect for all teachers. Saludo ako sa inyo… Keep up the good work! ;)

Blanca February 3, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Thanks Vloly, keep the great posts coming.:)

Megan Garcia February 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Wow! A teacher. hahaha Never in a million years have I considered to be one, since I really don’t have the patience for it. What really made me see that a teacher has to be all around. Many are a total pain in a butt, but then again, I wouldn’t be graduating now if it weren’t for my mentors. :) I’m glad you are proud of your profession
Megan Garcia invites you to read: Kick-Starting FebruaryMy Profile

Blanca February 3, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Thanks Megan!:)

Journeys and Travels
February 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm

yes, I agree with you in as much teaching is concerned. This is a nice post and wonderful narrative. Thanks for sharing this one.

Blanca February 3, 2012 at 2:11 pm