Managing (Dextro)Scoliosis Through Exercise

I have been receiving a lot of inquiries from visitors of my previous blogs, Dealing with Dextroscoliosis and Struggling with Dextrolscoliosis, about the type of exercises that I have been doing to manage my scoliosis. Here are some of the exercises that I do and think would be safe for all kinds of scoliosis:

you can do this 10 counts, in 5 repetitions

tuck your tummy in, hold for about 15 counts then release (repeat)

strengthens the hamstrings of the legs

I do these kneeling down, going to the direction opposite my curvature

These exercises generally are geared toward stretching and strengthening abdominal, hamstrings and back muscles which are important in avoiding back pains. For exercises that would target your specific needs, it is best to consult a Physical Therapist and Rehabilitation doctor.

72 Comments on Managing (Dextro)Scoliosis Through Exercise

1. Google
    September 13, 2014 at 3:59 am (1 year ago)

No one routes for the evil villan who’s run off with the hero’s beau,
    same applies to a site that’s been stuck in Google’s naughty corner.
    These pre-computed numbers, hold on in a very
    giant information bank for millions or URLs on the net.
    You need to make your potential customers aware of your products and services to ensure that they
    recognize them as valid solutions to their everyday problems.
    Google invites you to read: GoogleMy Profile

2. xbox live codes free
    September 5, 2014 at 7:18 pm (1 year ago)

First of all I would like to say fantastic blog!
    I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you do
    not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your
    head before writing. I have had a hard time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there.
    I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints?
    Appreciate it!
    xbox live codes free invites you to read: xbox live codes freeMy Profile

3. domain
    September 1, 2014 at 12:13 am (1 year ago)

This is the right web site for anybody who wants to understand this topic.
    You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a new spin on a subject
    that has been written about for ages. Excellent stuff,
    just wonderful!
    domain invites you to read: domainMy Profile

4. hack clash of clans android
    March 28, 2014 at 7:11 am (2 years ago)

Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve remember your stuff prior to and you are simply too excellent.
    I actually like what you’ve bought right here,
    really like what you are saying and the way through
    which you assert it. You are making it enjoyable and you continue to take care of
    to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you.
    That is actually a tremendous site.
    hack clash of clans android invites you to read: hack clash of clans androidMy Profile

5. became
    March 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm (2 years ago)

Excellent way of explaining, and fastidious paragraph to take data
    about my presentation focus, which i am going
    to convey in school.
    became invites you to read: becameMy Profile

March 1, 2014 at 10:25 pm (2 years ago)

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!

Extremely useful info specially the last part :) I care for
    such information much. I was seeking this certain info for a very
    long time. Thank you and best of luck. invites you to read: Profile

7. Dragonvale Cheats
    January 14, 2014 at 12:40 am (2 years ago)

Hello colleagues, how is everything, and what you want to say on the topic of this piece of
    writing, in my view its in fact remarkable for me.
    Dragonvale Cheats invites you to read: Dragonvale CheatsMy Profile

8. Dragon City Cheat
    January 10, 2014 at 10:32 am (2 years ago)

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m looking to start my own blog in the near future
    but I’m having a hard time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then
    most blogs and I’m looking for something unique. P.S Apologies for being
    off-topic but I had to ask!
    Dragon City Cheat invites you to read: Dragon City CheatMy Profile

9. Kitchen Scramble cheats
    January 6, 2014 at 12:27 am (2 years ago)

Your goal is to breed all the different dragons available to you and enter combat against other player’s dragons.
    The Alex Cross series began in 1992 with the publication of Along Came a Spider.
    If your answer is “yes”, you may want to link your Facebook ad to your Facebook page.
    Kitchen Scramble cheats invites you to read: Kitchen Scramble cheatsMy Profile

10. Bodyrub45
    December 12, 2013 at 10:45 pm (2 years ago)

Oh ! its a great job. Your posting is really true as well as helpful for all. These key factors must need to in consideration to sale our home. Thank you for sharing with us.keep it up.

11. joseph
    November 26, 2013 at 7:59 am (2 years ago)

Hi po,

May po ba na makapag work ako overseas kahit may mild scoliosis ako?

Pwede po bang paemail ng sagot? Maraminpong salamat.

12. Richard Thompson
    November 21, 2013 at 10:31 pm (2 years ago)

These exercises were so helpful for by bad back! I love that it not only helps with scoliosis but also strengthens my abs and hamstrings.

13. more followers on instagram for free
    November 19, 2013 at 12:06 am (2 years ago)

Big brands are turning to Instagram to add a visual tool to their social media marketing efforts.
    The best IGers will acknowledge your positive comments and thank you for them.

Instead of just the initials rsvp, you can place a personal
    message on the card.
    more followers on instagram for free invites you to read: more followers on instagram for freeMy Profile

14. lucas
    September 7, 2013 at 4:05 pm (2 years ago)

last xray ko is april 2013 (ok nman result like every of my previous xray) then nagpa xray ako ulit september 2013 ( biglang may dextoscoliolis na ).
    maam may tips po ba kayo kung anong sleeping position dapat,
    im 26 yrs old, male. syang balak ko pa nman mag abroad this year..

September 8, 2013 at 6:05 am (2 years ago)

Hi LUcas, more than the sleeping position, I think mas importante na malaman mo yung manangement exercise na dapat mo gawin kasi if ngayon lang nakita sa xray mo yan there’s a big chance pa din na bumalik sya sa normal curve given the right management exercise.:)

15. causes of high blood Pressure
    September 3, 2013 at 9:31 am (2 years ago)

however, you would be surprised what will happen if you eat smaller portions and keep exercising.
    For more information about a simple breathing exercise, please check out our report.

Apart from this, fish oil is known to have a positive effect on lowering high
    blood pressure. You not at all know when your cadaver will be pushed
    beyond its revenue and the pressure will just become too much to deal with.
    There are quite a lot of antihypertensive medications out there, and they
    have different mechanisms of action.
    causes of high blood Pressure invites you to read: causes of high blood PressureMy Profile

16. jeff
    August 17, 2013 at 5:39 pm (2 years ago)

Good morning maam Blanca,

I am diagnose Mild dextroscoliosis, This August 13, 2013. Paano po ito maam. May posibilidad po na. Mag lala po ito pag na papabayaan po? Kasi po maam hindi ko po ito iniexpect po na ma diagnose po ako ng Mild dextroscoliosis. Ito po ba ay na mamana? O trauma spine lang po ba? kasi po when I was 8 or 9 yrs of age po. Na hulog po kasi ako sa outdoor ng terrace po ng lola ko po. Nag pa xray po kasi ako last yr po ng november 2012. wala pong nakita na mild dextro. saka na po na diagnosed after 9mos po. it is possible maam blanca na nag form ito dahil po sa pag ka hulog ko po ng terrace?

August 20, 2013 at 12:40 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Jeff, I don’t think its related to your pagkahulog when you were young. If it is it should have manifested years ago pa in your xray. There are a lot of factors that might’ve caused you to have dextroscoliosis can be lifestyle, improper posture, calcium deficiency etc. No specific or definite cause really. What you can do is have it checked right away. Go to a Bone Rehabilitation doctor so he can teach you the management exercise that you can do para your curve will not progress anymore. If its mild there’s a big chance that it will go back to its normal curvature given proper management.:)

• jeff
        August 20, 2013 at 3:47 pm (2 years ago)

maam blanca good evening po, maraming salamat po sa information at advice po na ibinigay nyo po sa akin. it helps me so much. God bless po sa inyo. :)

17. kim
    June 6, 2013 at 10:26 am (2 years ago)

gud pm maam nagpa xray po ako ngayong tapos ang result po ay may mild dextroscoliosis po ako. ngayon lng po ito ngayong 22 na po ako noon po nagpa xray ako nong mga 2011 wala naman po akong mild dextroscoliosis.. nahulog po ako sa hagdan ng boarding house namin yon po ba yung dahilan kung bakit ngka mild dextroscoliosis po ako?palagi po sumasakit likod ko

June 6, 2013 at 10:56 am (2 years ago)

Hi Kim, I suggest you consult a Bone Rehabilitation doctor and have your back checked. The Rehab doctor will provide you with exercises and will recommend therapy to manage your dextroscoliosis. Since its mild there’s a big chance that it will go back to its normal curve given the proper management. As for trauma due to a fall as the probable cause, possibly but there are a lot of factors too that might have caused your spine to veer to the right.:)

18. kim
    June 6, 2013 at 10:24 am (2 years ago)

gud pm maam nagpa xray po ako ngayong tapos ang result po ay may mild dextroscoliosis po ako. ngayon lng po ito ngayong 22 na po ako noon po nagpa xray ako nong mga 2011 wala naman po akong.. nahulog po ako sa hagdan ng boarding house namin yon po ba yung dahilan kung bakit ngka mild dextroscoliosis po ako?

19. richelle culala
    October 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm (3 years ago)

but i dnt lost hope, and im always hold my faith. .

20. richelle culala
    October 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm (3 years ago)

hello mam! i got dextroscoliosis throcic when im 12 yrs old and it is 30 degree, im thankful i have family to support me in my condition, in my age 12 i wear brace and i will carry on, almost 8yrs. after that i decided in my own to release brace its 15 degree. ,now im 22 yrs old and i dnt know if i’am ok, i felt dextro is here.

November 2, 2012 at 1:46 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Richelle, good to know that the curve didn’t progress that much. Just continue the management exercises that you have been doing and lets hope that your spine will go back to its normal curve.:)

21. james parayno
    October 3, 2012 at 1:12 am (3 years ago)

gud day mam,

i have a mild thoracolumbar dextroscoliosis. tanung ko lang po kung makaksama po ba sa kundisyon ko ang pagtakbo? halos mag-iisang taon ko n pong gngwa yun at sumasli po kasi ako sa mga running event gumgamit po sko ng back support sa pagtakbo pra hindi po sumakit likod ko.

October 3, 2012 at 10:27 am (3 years ago)

So long as you wear the right running shoes and don’t force yourself too much its okay, that’s according to my rehab doctor when I asked her the same thing

22. pinky
    October 1, 2012 at 2:23 am (3 years ago)

i am 25 and i got a mild dextroscoliosis… can this be a problem for me… specially applying abroad? please response… thanks

October 1, 2012 at 10:45 pm (3 years ago)

Hi pinky it depends on the nature of the job you will be applying for. Normally, it shouldn’t.

23. Meriam P. Teves
    August 29, 2012 at 8:33 am (3 years ago)

Hello, ma’am , I was diagnosed of Dextroscoliosis. deviation of thoracic spine to the right last Feb 16,2012. I was then issued to take 1 cap of Caltrate per day for one month. I noticed that If I will drink coffee and wash clothes immediately I suffer back pain. so I reprimanded myself to do these work and drink coffee. Now d other week confident that I am already alright I do these work again and am suffering pain again & slight headache now. Can I take again caltrate? BUT am afraid to do so because there is always a side effects-heart disease or kidney failure. Maybe d best is to try your exercise. If right deviation, then it will be left d opposite.

24. mariz samonte obo
    August 16, 2012 at 10:22 am (3 years ago)

good day mam,

I want to ask if there’s any job position that appropriate for me specially in the company because I have dextroscoliosis? I already applied in a company but I’m always failed in medical exam because of my dextroscoliosis. I’ll wait for your response mam. I’m greatly appreciate your reply because it will help to my job career. tnx madam..

August 16, 2012 at 12:10 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Mariz, jobs that don’t require you to carry or lift heavy loads or jobs that don’t require you to be physically fit. You can explore sales, administrative, clerical work. You can also work in BPO’s like the call centers or in education. So far I havent experienced being turned down because of this condition. I held an admin job before, I had a short stint in sales, and now I am a teacher.:)

25. roselynfrando
    August 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm (3 years ago) is a big help for those who are suffering dextroscoliosis.

26. Maui
    August 6, 2012 at 4:08 am (3 years ago)

Hi Ms. Blanca,
    Have another series of xrays last week for my 14% detxro, I just want to share the good news. It’s negative now, praise to Most Holy Name of Jesus! I think the exercise helps me a lot, too. Many thanks for your inspiring messages here.

More Power & God Bless You More!

August 6, 2012 at 1:21 pm (3 years ago)

That’s great Maui, I am so happy for you!:)

27. mycca
    July 28, 2012 at 4:30 pm (3 years ago)

HI ATE BIANCA., i wanna make sure meaning if i have my dextroscoliosis on the right side, the left side is the one who needs to be excercise?? tma po ba pagkakainitindi ko??

28. Isaac
    May 24, 2012 at 2:00 am (4 years ago)

Hi, Blanca. I’m isaac here. i have a question. if i have a mild scoliosis problem. may i still apply for the flight attendant position? i still can stand straight, walk straight, carry thing. * i very often go for swimming and gym.
    i really worried i can’t get through the medical check up session.
    Hopefully u can give me some advise

Isaac Liew

February 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Stacy.:)

29. giay
    February 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm (4 years ago)

great! I think these are useful tips for people suffering with this condition. I will suggest it to my friend as well.

February 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm (4 years ago)

Thanks Giay!:)

30. melch
    February 13, 2012 at 10:15 am (4 years ago)

ate can u add me as a friend in FB?????tnx…

February 13, 2012 at 11:21 pm (4 years ago)

31. leslie z.
    January 30, 2012 at 7:56 am (4 years ago)

good day po ate blanca!!!!!! I read all the comment on your site.. I feel belong in this site, couz it is my first weak 2 know that i have a dextroscoliosis based on my x-ray result.i want to know all types of exercises and how it works or for how many months or, year. it will give cure on my dextroscoliosis ..I must go to a doc. 4 some opinion…and i hope u will help me for some information..I fear of what will happen on me…thanks…just e mail me

January 31, 2012 at 3:20 am (4 years ago)

Hi Leslie, thank you for leaving a comment here. The first thing that you should do is see a Rehabilitation Medicine doctor. She will be the best person who can advise you on the tests that you should take as well as the kind of treatment and management that you should have.:) Godbless.:)

32. syke
    December 2, 2011 at 2:48 am (4 years ago)

help me. i have 15% thoracolumbar dextroscoliosis. what does that mean? what exercises should i make? on what direction should i bend? thanks. :)

December 3, 2011 at 12:44 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Syke, please see a Rehabilitation Medicine (physical therapy department) doctor so he can better explain your condition to you and so he can recommend the exercises and therapies that you need to do to manage your scoliosis. You may also read my post on Dealing With Dextroscoliosis (click the link on this post) to have an idea of what dextroscoliosis is. Godbless.:)

33. ian
    November 10, 2011 at 1:58 pm (4 years ago)

I’m currently dealing with this dextroscoliosis thingy. I’m really confused about the things I had seen in the net about the exercises for this ailment. what is the proper bending & stretching exercise for dextroscoliosis? which direction should I bend?

November 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm (4 years ago)

Hi Ian. You can look into this post I made about exercises that are safe for dextroscoliosis to use. If your hump is like mine, right curvature. You bend towards the right, where your hump is. Hope this helps. Godbless and thanks for leaving a comment here.:)

34. crissy
    April 23, 2011 at 9:19 pm (5 years ago)

this site is very helpful. i was diagnosed two years ago of 32 degrees dextroscoliosis and been doing the same exercises as instructed by my PT.

April 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm (5 years ago)

Thanks for leaving a comment here crissy. Feel free to share here some of your insights so we can learn from you also. Godbless.:)

35. love
    April 9, 2011 at 6:26 am (5 years ago)

hi po…nahihirapan po ako matulog evry nyt kasi sumasakit po likod ko..lalo na pag gising ko sa umaga.. paano po ba or ano po ang tamang position matulog sa my dextroscoliosis po? minsan hindi na ako nag uunan kasi feeling ko mas sasakit yung likod ko if nag uunan ako…masakit pag naka sideview ako… pls give me some advys po… thanks. pwede po ba ako mag pa full body massage? anong klaseng massage po ba ang pwede sa akin? thanks!.. God bless……

April 9, 2011 at 10:20 am (5 years ago)

Hi Love, thank you for leaving a comment here. I think it would be best to consult a Rehab doctor at this point so that you will be given proper management for your scoliosis. In my case kasi, since I have management exercises that I do at home and I had PT sessions already, I don’t feel any pain regardless of my sleeping position. The pain might be coming from bunched up/weak muscles that only physical therapy can address. As for massages, my doctor did not refrain me from getting massages. In fact, I avail of spa massages once in a while, but I tell you, nothing beats the massage that my physical therapist do when I go for PT sessions. You might want to consider that.:) I hope I was able to help you in a way. Keep in touch.:)

36. Lester
    April 7, 2011 at 8:38 am (5 years ago)

thanks! really of the most relevant sites i’ve seen to straighten my spine..

April 7, 2011 at 9:32 am (5 years ago)

Thank you Lester for leaving a comment here.:)

37. melch
    March 29, 2011 at 6:53 am (5 years ago)

tnx 4 this exercises…..It really helps me…can u plz give ur full name ate..I will search u in facebook….2 be ur friend and to chat with…tnx…

March 29, 2011 at 7:10 am (5 years ago)

You’re welcome melchie. Give me your facebook name and I will add you. Thanks!:)

• melch
        March 30, 2011 at 1:27 am (5 years ago)

Chie Infante… is my facebook name ate…tnx a lot…Godbless u.

March 30, 2011 at 4:06 am (5 years ago)

Okidoki, will add you in the coming days.:) See you in FB.:)

38. ninin
    March 18, 2011 at 12:04 pm (5 years ago)

tnx for ds add..i’d love to try ds..hpe ds would mke me feel better!

March 21, 2011 at 12:20 am (5 years ago)

Thank you for leaving a comment here. Hope this helps.:)

39. shell
    February 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm (5 years ago)

i will have her try this exercise and God please reverse the condition.

February 14, 2011 at 4:35 am (5 years ago)

yes hope these exercises work for her.:)

40. lare
    November 29, 2010 at 7:17 am (5 years ago)

hey blanca,

This is very helpful.

I’ll try this ASAP.

Thanks a lot!

God BLess :)

November 29, 2010 at 11:57 am (5 years ago)

You’re welcome, glad to be of help to you guys. Let us know, if these exercises worked well for you.:)

• shell
        February 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm (5 years ago)

is this exercise effective??? my sister just got her x-ray result today and we were distraught by the result.

February 14, 2011 at 4:36 am (5 years ago)

I have been doing these for years and these work fine for me.:)

41. konginchains
    November 13, 2010 at 2:04 pm (5 years ago)

i see… seems like the last one that you do toward the opposite of your curve is good for your left lumbar curve but detrimental to your right thoracic curve, which i guess is why you have to do it kneeling down. Although if you stretch towards the direction of your curve instead of the opposite, you actually help out your thoracic but do worse for the lumbar. Oh the complexities of a double scoliosis curve :-(

42. joy
    November 10, 2010 at 9:21 am (5 years ago)

thanks.. im going to try this. :)

November 10, 2010 at 11:39 am (5 years ago)

You’re welcome. Have fun doing them!=)

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Managing (Dextro)Scoliosis Through Exercise

1. […] with scoliosis for quite a number of years now (see my related post Dealing with Scoliosis and Managing Scoliosis Through Exercise). For the longest time, I had been in search of that perfect footwear that will help reduce back […]